For The Love of Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pet Health

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Ladybug1115
Administrator
Administrator
Ladybug1115

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2007-10-04

Pet Health - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Wobbler's Syndrome - The Basics   Pet Health - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2008, 11:46 am

By Hans Lynch
Wobblers Syndrome also known as cervical vertebral malformation (CVM) and cervical spondylomyelopathy (CSM) is commonly seen among dogs. It is a condition of the cervical vertebrae in which the vertebrae is affected resulting the dog developing a walk that is both wobbly and unsteady, hence the name Wobblers Syndrome.

This in actuality is a situation in which there are various factors that contribute to make the one condition. These include the disease of the major areas of the vertebrae such as the interspinal ligaments, and intervertebral discs. It is particularly found among the Great Danes and Doberman Pinschers dogs.

Causes of Wobblers Syndrome

Quoting the Merck Manual, "The cause of wobblers syndrome is unknown, although rapid growth rates and nutrition, mechanical factors, and genetics may be implicated." Others say the cause of Wobblers Syndrome in most dogs is partly genetic and as a result of a malformed vertebrae located in the neck region.

This happens mostly in the spinal canal which is what houses the spinal cord encasing it and protecting it from harm. Normally the spinal canal has an opening that is relatively big. However, when a dog becomes infected with the Wobblers Syndrome, the opening shrinks causing it to add pressure on the spinal cord. This then hinders the spinal cord from passing and receiving impulses. This shrinking of the canal continues as the animal increases in size, weight and age. During this period too, there is a noticeable instability apparent in the neck vertebrae.

Signs and Symptoms

Wobblers Syndrome becomes apparent in less than forty eight months (four years) of age. In dogs such as the Great Danes, it becomes more evident at an earlier age. It takes quite a while to show in Doberman Pinschers. One of the initial signs that a dog might be suffering from wobblers syndrome is the dog's inability to bend its neck because of the pain it is likely to feel. Next is an apparent lack of muscular coordination and general weakness in the dog's hind limbs. This is closely followed by a gradual weakness of the frontal limbs too.

Preventive Measures

According to many experiments, it is possible that most dogs that end up having Wobblers Syndrome have a genetic predisposition to it. So it is advisable that you consider the lineage of the dogs you plan to breed be examined for any signs of Wobblers Syndrome. Others recommend that if the weight gain and growth rate are slowed down by reducing the quantity of not quality of high protein nutrition given, the dog(s) might just be able to survive and grow normally even if it had a genetic predisposition to it.

Corrective Measures

There are surgical procedures that can be done to either lessen the symptoms of Wobblers or even completely eliminate the symptoms. One such procedure is the surgically implanting gold beads in the spinal area.
Back to top Go down
Ladybug1115
Administrator
Administrator
Ladybug1115

PostSubject: Getting A Second Opinion On Your Veterinarian's Diagnosis   Pet Health - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2008, 12:55 pm

By John Willard
You have a new puppy or kitty or perhaps you are a seasoned pet owner. You want the very best care and medical attention for your little people in fur coats that you would expect or demand for yourself. Do you find a Veterinarian in the phone book, rely on recommendations from friends, or visit some yourself to find the perfect doctor? Well, these are some ways, but can you be sure that the Vet you decide on has Fido's best interest at heart OR is he just interested in his bank account?

I am a breeder of AKC Yorkshire Terriers and have a burdening desire to insure my little ones are taken care of properly. I have moved all of our dogs from a vet that cost me three dead puppies from a caesarian birth and then charged me $400.00! When I called to have their records moved, they had the nerve to ask me why! DUH! A little preface before getting into the meat of this article as provided by some of our friends.

A friend of ours recently had a 6 month old Yorkie that got sick. The poor little fellow started vomiting and having diarrhea, wouldn't eat, drink water and just wanted to lay around. Our friend rushed him to the vet that normally attended him to determine what the problem was. At the vet's office, the technicians, NOT the doctor, came outside to the car to examine the dog. Now I can understand not necessarily wanting the dog inside the office if it had something contagious, but at that time, they knew nothing other that the symptoms. Our friend asked if it could be Parvo. After taking a stool sample and checking it, the technician came back out and told her that it definitely was not Parvo. The dog was taken back home with some medication for diarrhea and that was that. The symptoms persisted and she took him back to the vet the next day. This time they gave him some IV fluids because they said he was dehydrated, and sent him back home. The next morning, the dog was found dead at the back door!

Our friend immediately called the vet and told them what had happened and again asked if it could have been Parvo. Again, she was told that it definitely was not Parvo. We happen to live in a community when there is an Infectious Animal Diagnostic Center. Well, our friend had an autopsy performed on the dog and after two weeks, the results showed the dog had died from, you guessed it, PARVO!

Now this wouldn't be quiet so alarming, if it was just one instance. However, just today, one of our neighbors told us she had lost her youngest Dachshund to Parvo! And can you guess where she had taken him? Yep, same Vet. Same questions were asked about Parvo and the same answers were given, this time by the doctor, it was definitely not Parvo. Three days later, after the dog suffered extensively, she took the dog back to the vet and THIS time she was told that it was Parvo. The vet prescribed some medication and when our neighbor was checking out she told the receptionist that she could not afford the price just then. They took the medicine back from her and told her that when she got the money she could come back and get it! WHAT!

Are Veterinarians that strapped for cash? I was under the impression that they took an oath. So, I did some research and this is what I found. This is taken from the American Veterinary Medical Association's Web-Site:

Veterinarian's Oath

(Adopted by the House of Delegates, July 1969, amended by the Executive Board, November 1999)

Being admitted to the profession of veterinary medicine, I solemnly swear to use my scientific knowledge and skills for the benefit of society through the protection of animal health, the relief of animal suffering, the conservation of animal resources, the promotion of public health, and the advancement of medical knowledge.

I will practice my profession conscientiously, with dignity, and in keeping with the principles of veterinary medical ethics.

I accept as a lifelong obligation the continual improvement of my professional knowledge and competence.

Now we're not certain whether this vet belongs to the AVMA (American Veterinary Medical Association) or not, but I'm sure he had to take this oath at some time or another. Are our Veterinarians taking this oath too lightly? Is it just another business to make money, and lots of it? Have you seen the prices they charge? Some of the times, you feel as though you need to apply for a second mortgage just to pay their fees! AND, it is always up-front payment, check, cash or credit cards!

I don't want to even get into animal rights at this time, but what about all these agencies that want the public to adopt these poor animals and take care of them? People that do adopt, and want to provide care for them, can't always provide the best care because the Veterinarians are either miss-diagnosing the problems or charging way too much for their services. I know that Veterinarians incur a lot of expense in their training, office rental, supplies, etc., but it seems to me, that if you have been in practice for a number of years, you should have that training paid for. And, have you seen some of those offices? Is it really necessary to be that lavish and extravagant, or is it status? And, I order my vaccines from the same sources that they do, except Rabies vaccines which I cannot give by state law) and I know the prices. There is an average markup of about 300% on just one vaccination! Then there is the office visit charge. What exactly is that for anyway? If you can at all avoid it, don't have an emergency or take you pets after hours or on weekends. You ain't seen such charges until you do!

I guess what I'm really trying to get across here is the fact that our pets are suffering unworthily at the expense of some of these veterinarians. I happen to be very fortunate to have two of the very best Veterinarians that I have been able to find. Some of the prices are a bit more than I would like, but they really care about me and my Yorkies. Yes, I have had to use their services after hours and on weekends, but I don't want to lose any of my Yorkies either. And no, we don't make a lot of money breeding them. Ask any breeder and they will tell you, there is not a lot of money to be made. We have had to let some things slide till next payday and our Vet is gracious enough to hold checks for us between paydays. And, I know that if I need them, they will be there for me and my Yorkies.

AVMA Oath from http://www.avma.org/
Back to top Go down
Ladybug1115
Administrator
Administrator
Ladybug1115

PostSubject: Pet Care - 5 Easy Ways to Keep Happy Pets   Pet Health - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2008, 12:56 pm

By Donald McKenzie Jr.
Create a great living atmosphere for your pet.

One of the best things you can do for your pet is to create a highly comfortable atmosphere for them. This goes for pet dogs, cats, birds, mice, lizards, turtles, rabbits, and all other house pets. Think of it this way; would you like to live an uncomfortable house? That answer is an obvious one. Your pet is a living being and would love to live comfortably in a good atmosphere. A couple things going for this tip include fresh drinking water, a comfortable resting spot, and great clean nutritious food. You will also want to keep their living space fresh and comfortable.

Only feed them the best nutritious foods.

Your pet will only stay as healthy as the food you are feeding it. If you are feeding your pet unhealthy food, it will show through its health. A few signs of this are pet sickness, hostility, and your pet literally avoiding you. Try to find the best foods in the pet stores to feed your loving pet. As previously mentioned, your pets are living beings that need to be taken care of. Would you eat dirty unhealthy foods everyday? Put yourself in the position of your pet and you will understand what is being asked better.

Shower your pet with love and affection.

The love and affection you show your pet will help it to live a long life. A few ways to do this are using low sweet voices when interacting with any pet, petting and hugging frequently, and physically playing with your pet. If your pet is a lizard, snake, mouse, or bird, you can sometime take them out of their cages to get some fresh air. If you have a pet dog, then pull off the leash and let them run around outside each day. Believe it or not, your pet will greatly appreciate this and love you in return. If they are kept cooped up in a cage or indoors each day, they will tend to grow viscous and hostile towards anyone who comes close.

Give your pet great baths.

Try to remember that a clean pet is always a happy pet. Would you be happy with dirty smelly skin? Although some pets hate baths, they greatly appreciate a clean body. And even though some of them like to lick themselves to stay clean, it is always a great idea to get some fresh water and pet shampoo on them. This will also help to prevent and parasites or bacteria from getting them sick.

Buy your pets great toys to keep them happy.

It is always a great idea to get your pet toys and items that keep them busy. Cats seem to be fascinated by yarn and fur. They can just sit there all day swiping at it with their paws. If you can find out what fascinates your pet, it will help them to stay alert and even healthy. A lazy pet is never a good thing to have around.
Back to top Go down
Ladybug1115
Administrator
Administrator
Ladybug1115

PostSubject: Pet Nutrition and Health - Continuous Learning!   Pet Health - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2008, 12:56 pm

By Richard Monson
When people moved from rural areas to more populated centers for job accessibility, cultural and entertainment purposes, the age old way of feeding a pet table scraps and allowing a free running pet to scrounge for food, changed. The concentration of people meant pets and people existed in a more confined environment. Individuals did less and less growing of their own food and more and more processed foods were purchased.

The resulting change of humans purchasing processed foods created the processed pet food industry to begin flourishing in the 50's and 60's. Somewhere I read an estimate that over 90% of all the food pets consumed is preprocessed. This accounts for a large portion of the $40 Billion pet owners spend on these furry friends yearly.

Recently the nutritional health of pets became of grave concern when the pet food recalls surfaced. The importance of quality and integrity in pet foods was on every pet owner's mind. The pet food industry attempted to correct all the problems as fast as they could, but a lot of doubt still exists and increased nutrition education is paramount in the pet owner's mind.

We would all like to have pet food products that are "natural" and "organic", but must realize the major manufacturers are more inclined to cater to the "Bottom Line" which requires volume more than their dedication to nutritional quality which by government standards has only to meet the bare minimums. The words "natural" and "organic" are hard to verify in any product.

An important bit of information about pet foods is: The label does not tell the whole story. Consider this...the first listed ingredient is supposed to be of the greatest quantity, but since the ingredients are listed by weight what is the moisture content of the first item when processed into this food? Grains and meat can be 10%, 20%, 40% or? Additional items can be 5%...what is the true amount within.

What are meat bi-products? Are they the bone scrapings, cartilage, tallow and/or some unthinkable items? Why are preservatives used? Is it because such large production creates distribution problems and the pet food sacks can be in a hot warehouse or semi-trailer (parked in the hot sun) for extended periods of time (think 6 months or even a year) before being delivered or sold. Consider the processing, overheating and chemical processing destroys much that is necessary for proper nutrition.

Quality and integrity of pet foods cannot be totally determined by reading the label, it requires investigation and education found by comparing ingredients (particularly quality), asking and questioning experts in the field, veterinarians (except those well versed in nutrition) are not always the most reliable source of information.

There are good sources of information and products on the internet. Most sellers of commercial pet foods (veterinarians and store sales personnel) are coached by the manufacturers or distributors of these mass produced products. Read and read some more, then use that information to provide the best nutrition for your pet(s).
Back to top Go down
Ladybug1115
Administrator
Administrator
Ladybug1115

PostSubject: Pet Poisoning Symptoms - Your Rhubarb Plants Can Be Harmful   Pet Health - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2008, 12:57 pm

By Elizabeth Orr
It is a well known fact to many, that a substance called oxalate is quite prevalent in the leaves of the rhubarb plant. It is quickly absorbed into the bloodstream if ingested and can cause severe problems.

Rhubarb lovers and gardeners alike know that only the stems are eaten, and the leaves are cut off at harvest time. Some of us faithfully wear gloves at all times. Some do not. Some people compost the leaves. Others make a quick trip to the garbage dump. There is some debate on the severity of the dangers.

Yet, with all we know, and all we have read, how many of us put our pets outside on a daily basis?

We consistently send our pets outdoors to wander the property to enjoy the sun, get some fresh air and exercise or simply to do their business. We don't give this daily routine any second thought.

I bet that a huge chunk of the population never really considers the danger a simple garden plant can pose to a curious animal. It isn't due to a lack of caring or concern for our beloved pets. I think it is simply a case of wishful thinking and crossed fingers that our pet will return in the same state as when he left.

Animals are so instinctively curious and notorious for getting into things they should avoid.

Humans know better, or at least we should. Animals do not, and so we should be aware that the symptoms displayed by rhubarb poisoning in pets are very similar to those displayed in humans.

A pet in trouble will typically display the signs in the form of excessive drooling or vomiting or both. They will obviously be not too steady on their feet and appear to be staggering. Your pet may show signs of obvious abdominal pain when touched. Eventually he may even go into convulsions. Would you know how to handle this, seeing that your pet is in distress?

The most obvious thing to do I believe, would be to immediately call your veterinarian for his opinion.

You are sure to be advised to get your pet medical attention. Instructions have been published on how to give an animal ipecac to induce vomiting. I don't believe this is the best thing to do, simply because we are not qualified to determine if that is the solution. I would not use the hydrogen-peroxide and water mixture either for the same reason. Vomiting can even enhance the problem on the way back up as well.

I also don't believe this is a good idea, as it means physically forcing your pet to do this while they are distressed. I speak from experience that the worst thing you can do, is put your hands around the face of a pet who is severely agitated. If you think there is poison in a rhubarb leaf, consider the bacteria contained in the front long fangs of a cat. While trying to comfort a distressed pet, I was immediately bitten on the knuckle. My hand became horribly red and inflamed overnight. It swelled to an incredible size much to the worry of my doctor. That is a dangerous situation, and took two weeks to begin to heal.

Get some assistance, wear heavy gloves and muzzle your pet if you can. Transport them in a carrier to your vet and keep them warm with a familiar blanket. Take vomit samples with you. Have a sample of the leaf if possible.

If you are not sure to begin with how serious the situation is, call your local SPCA, or Animal Poison Control Center at 1-888-426-4435. Be as ready for them with information as you would with your own child.

We need to discipline ourselves as responsible pet lovers to improve our efforts to keep them safe in their own surroundings. We should be faithfully accompanying them when we put them outside to roam freely. We should be there to guide them away from any garden dangers. We need to put barriers around the dangerous parts of our gardens. Better yet, we should have specific places for them to roam where they are restricted to that one safe area only.
Back to top Go down
Ladybug1115
Administrator
Administrator
Ladybug1115

PostSubject: Pets and Exercise - A Great Fit   Pet Health - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2008, 12:58 pm

By Erik Weinstein
It may seem surprising, but one of the reasons that you think of your pet as your best friend is that you actually have a lot in common. Whether you own a dog or a cat, you both like to have fun, you both crave affection, and you both need exercise to stay healthy. In fact, making sure your pet is getting the right amount of exercise for its size can involve many of the same common sense approaches you would apply to your own exercise regimen.

Just as it is with their owners, pets need exercise if they are going to stay healthy, active and live a long, quality life. Nowadays, many pets live in urban environments that can make adequate exercise a real challenge. Unfortunately, many owners simply don't care for their pet's need for exercise. Consequently, many pets suffer from health problems that could easily be avoided by the proper amount of activity. By following a few simple rules, you can make sure your best friend is getting the right amount - and right kind - of exercise.

A great many ailments and conditions can arise from an inadequate amount of exercise, the most serious and widespread of which is obesity. How many times have you or a friend joked about the funny way one of your overweight pets waddled across the kitchen floor? In fact, obesity among pets is no laughing matter.

Obesity commonly arises from a number of factors. Many dogs are left alone, inside for long periods of time. Some cats spend all their time indoors. Many small pets don't have exercise wheels in their cages, or - in the case of birds - adequate space to fly about. All of these situations restrict movement and create a sedentary lifestyle. In addition, many pet owners don't take their animal's relative lack of activity into account when it comes to their pet's diet. As a result, many pets are fed far too many calories in relation to the amount of energy their inactive lives actually require.

The deleterious effects of obesity can vary, but all are serious. Primarily, obesity puts a great deal of stress on the body, exacerbating pre-existing conditions like heart disease, orthopedic disease, and some skin conditions. Obesity can also play a role in causing chronic diseases like diabetes.

If you own larger pets, the need for exercise is greater than with small pets. Large breed dogs, or even big cats can require much more exercise than their smaller counterparts. This is partly do to the fact that a larger animal needs much more space to get adequate exercise, where a smaller pet may get a good amount of activity in a much smaller area. Larger animals should get at least 20 minutes of exercise, twice a day. Just like with their human counterparts, this should be vigorous work that emphasizes strength, flexibility and cardiovascular endurance. For a large dog, a traditional game of fetch can be great exercise, especially when combined with some good old fashioned tug-of-war between throws. Try using the My Good Dog Vibram Stick, for a new twist on this favorite, canine pastime. For a bigger cat, a similar game with a Cat Dancer Cat Charmer can provide great fun and aerobic activity.

If you own a smaller pet, you can arrange for adequate activity with less space. Many times intermittent game-playing can be adequate. Anything from friendly rough-housing with a small dog, to ball rolling can be a great way to keep your pet fit, and spend quality time together in the process. Add extra challenge by throwing a My Good Dog Vibram Ball into the fun. With smaller cats, a toy like the Cat Dancer Mouse in the House can provide lots of fun, fit play, even when you're not home to enjoy it together.

Always consult your vet with questions regarding exercising your pet. If your pet hasn't been getting enough exercise, start slow and work your way up the same way you would if you just joined a new gym. With a little common sense, both you and your pet can become healthier - and closer - than ever!
Back to top Go down
Ladybug1115
Administrator
Administrator
Ladybug1115

PostSubject: Protect Your Pets and Control Fleas and Ticks   Pet Health - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2008, 12:58 pm

By J Blu
If you have a pet, no doubt you are concerned about its welfare. One major topic that many pet owners and pet lovers are concerned with is controlling the infestation of pests like fleas and ticks. Fleas and ticks can be a bothersome nuisance to both you and your pet dog or pet cat or pet animal.

Fleas are an irritant because their bites form itchy sores on humans. Fleas bite both humans and animals and are blood-sucking insects. They can jump lengths of over a foot, and live as long as several months. If you have children, especially babies, this can be an even bigger concern as the rashes and sores developed from flea bites can potentially be harmful.

Ticks can be harmful to humans as they can potentially transmit the very serious disease called Lyme Disease. Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection that may very well prove to be fatal if not treated.

Although you may love your pet cats and/or dogs, the welfare of yourself and your family should be of the utmost priority. How can you prevent and remedy the infestation of fleas and ticks on your most loves pets? Well, there are many medications and solutions that are created especially for that. Flea and tick remedies such as Frontline and Frontline Plus are made and formulated for cats and dogs of all sizes. It is advertised as the number one choice of flea and tick control by veterinarians. Not only do the make special formulas for cats and dogs of all sizes, they also formulate Frontline for baby cats and baby dogs, puppies and kittens, that are at least 8 weeks or 2 months old.

You do not have to seek the advice or get a prescription from a veterinarian in order to obtain Frontline or Frontline Plus. However, this is recommended as veterinarians are very well-equipped to answer any questions you might have as to if this is a suitable treatment for your pet, if there are any side effects for both pet and humans to using Frontline on your pets, and so on.
Back to top Go down
Ladybug1115
Administrator
Administrator
Ladybug1115

PostSubject: Oral And Dental Health Are Keys To Your Pets Quality Of Life   Pet Health - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2008, 1:01 pm

By Paul Skellenger
Diagnosis: Tartar and gingivitis, Grade I.

Treatment: Dental prophy. This procedure is performed under general anesthesia. After a thorough examination, the teeth are scaled using specialized hand instruments and an ultrasonic scaler. All plaque and tartar is removed and every tooth in the mouth is carefully cleaned. The teeth, gums, and the periodontal tissues are then examined by the doctor to be sure they are healthy, with special attention paid to areas below the gum line. Then the teeth are polished with a high speed polisher to smooth and restore the enamel. This is followed by a fluoride treatment.

Immediate post operative care: The dental technician is responsible for all nursing care associated with the prophy itself. Once this procedure is finished, one of the treatment area technicians (who are also our ICU nurses) sees to it that the patient's recovery is smooth and uneventful.

What to expect the day of discharge: In most cases, normal activity is permitted right away. When you get home, offer a small meal and a small amount of water at first. Some pets may feel a little nausea associate with anesthesia, and it is best to offer small portions at first. Normal food and water can be offered after a couple of hours. Don't expect them to be excessively tired, but some do take longer than others to come around. The next day they should be back to normal.

What to do if you notice a problem: If you feel there is a problem for any reason, contact one of the our preferred partners in the VeterinarianCare.us network or the local animal emergency clinic.

Follow up: Daily tooth brushing is the best way to prevent future tartar and gum disease. Keep it simple. Brush the outside of the teeth and you can be finished in 10 to 15 seconds. We have chicken flavored toothpaste to make it easier. CET chews help when brushing cannot be done regularly. Most important, regular cleaning every 6 to 12 months is the ideal way to prevent health problems related to dental plaque and tartar. It makes their breath smell better too.
Back to top Go down
Ladybug1115
Administrator
Administrator
Ladybug1115

PostSubject: Allergic Pets - 6 Ways to Make Their Lives Better   Pet Health - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2008, 1:02 pm

By Debbie Davis
If you have a precious pet, and a pet is one of the best things in life that you can have, the last thing you want to see is their uncontrollable itching, licking or scratching; but if your pet has allergies, that is exactly what is in store for you both unless you get help. We have had 3 wonderful Golden Retrievers, and 2 out of the 3 have been highly allergic. The good news is that there is help out there that can make a big and permanent difference to your pet and to you. The following 6 tips will really help improve the quality of life for your beloved pet and for you.

- 1. Find a veterinarian who specializes in animal allergy and dermatology. Your regular veterinarian is good place to get a qualified referral for such a doctor. Get several names of doctors and compare what you hear. Discuss all the possibilities that are appropriate for your pet, the time frames for all the options taking effect, their costs, and the prognosis in terms of effectiveness for each recommendation.

- 2. Consider investing in a high efficiency particle arresting air purifier. Many animals, like people, are allergic to common household pollutants such as dust, dust mites, mold and mildew spores, and pollen to name a few. Just as a high efficiency particle arresting air purifier will benefit you, it will also help your pet be more comfortable, particularly during the seasons when the allergens that affect him are most prolific.

- 3. Bathe your pet regularly with a shampoo prescribed by the allergist. This can make a huge difference in how comfortable your pet feels by reducing itching and scratching, and is probably the least invasive action you can take against pet allergies. Most allergists will also recommend a leave on lotion that should be applied after bathing, which is also designed to soothe dry and itchy skin. It is important that the shampoo and lotion be recommended by the allergist because many off the shelf shampoos can make matters worse by a lot.

- 4. At the recommendation of your pet allergist, initially limiting the different kinds of treats, table scraps and other different kinds of foods will help determine if your pet has a food allergy as well. Adding foods one at a time to see if there is a reaction will help you determine which foods to steer clear of.

- 5. If your pet should scratch to the point of breaking the skin and creating a hot spot, or should develop a staph infection, seek immediate medical attention for him to prevent the spread of the infection. Generally, the allergist will prescribe a round of antibiotics and steroids until the condition is gone.

- 6. Stay alert and be attentive to your pet. The health of your pet can change pretty quickly. Noticing the following things about your pet will help you avoid disaster. Know whether your pet is itchy or licking; examine his skin often, smell his ears, notice his energy level, watch to see that is stool is firm, take note of his appetite. Knowing what is normal for your pet will help you react quickly when there is a possible problem.

Following these 6 steps will increase the enjoyment that your pet gets out of life, and in turn increases the joy that he is able to give to you. Seems like a fair trade.
Back to top Go down
Ladybug1115
Administrator
Administrator
Ladybug1115

PostSubject: What it Takes to Produce a Top Quality Pet Vitamin   Pet Health - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 29th 2008, 3:25 pm

By Joseph M Sabol
A top quality pet vitamin should be considered your pets best friend. They always say that a dog is mans best friend, but who is your pets best friend? A high quality pet vitamin is the answer.

To date there are no commercially available pet foods that have all the necessary ingredients and supplements that could compare to the quality of human grade vitamin, especially in the area of antioxidants. Antioxidants are proven to fight free radicals that can be traced to approximately 50 major diseases in our pets.

A quality pet vitamin should in no way be considered a drug of any kind. Helping our pets by providing them with a quality pet vitamin will help promote a healthier life for our pets. A dog will lay down it's life for our protection if necessary. The least we can do is try our best to give our pets, both cats and dogs, the best pet vitamin available.

Allergies, skin and coat problems, arthritis, tumors, cancers, cataracts, strokes and heart disease are just a few of the 50 major health problems caused by free radicals. Unfortunately, these diseases and ailments lead to suffering and possibly premature death in our four-legged companions. A pet vitamin should be made with a a precise combination of human grade, natural vitamins, minerals, herbs, antioxidants, bioflavonoids, fatty acids, and amino acids proven to combat the ravages of free radicals and to provide immune system support.

Scratching, hot spots (an area a dog chews and licks til he breaks the skin), allergies, arthritis, premature aging, low energy levels, cataracts, digestive problems, and heart disease are some of the health problems that a human grade pet vitamin can eliminate.

It can be confusing when trying to choose a good quality vitamin for your pets because the market has many products associated with a brand name. People assume since its a brand name it is high quality, when in fact it may be of no value to your dog or cat. As pet owners, we need to be sure to read the ingredients to be certain there are no unnecessary fillers or unnecessary additives.

Top quality pet vitamins are the reason some of our pets are living extraordinary long and healthy lives.
Back to top Go down
Ladybug1115
Administrator
Administrator
Ladybug1115

PostSubject: How To Recognize Pet Poisoning Symptoms   Pet Health - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 30th 2008, 2:26 pm

By Mikael Rieck
Unfortunately, most of our pets don't speak our language and that can make it difficult to provide the care that we would like them to have at times. No time is more serious than a time of illness and possibly one of the more serious is poisoning.

When dealing with some varieties of poisoning time is essential in getting your pet the care that may make the difference between lasting harm and minor discomfort. We'll discuss a number of different warning signs that you can be vigilant for to alert you that what is wrong may be poisoning.

Mouth

Most commonly the mouth is the entry-way for any form of poison that you pet may come in contact with. Thankfully the warning signs are usually rather noticeable and easy to identify. The first is simply excess saliva. If your pet is drooling more than usual or excessively then you may want to take a closer look at them. If think you recognize any of these symptoms please go ahead and verify the others and use your head.

The next symptom associated with the mouth is again rather obvious to spot. This symptom is vomit. Often you can not only identify the possibility of poison simply by the presence of vomit, but you can sometimes identify the poison's source within the vomit. Think about the situation and identify uncommon elements in the vomit and then check for other symptoms.

Behavior

If your pet is displaying a change in behavior, it may be poisoning. The easiest, often times, to recognize a change in are simply standing and walking ability. If you notice a significant change in these do not hesitate to check for the other symptoms. Some other less common "motor skills" are sounding, gas, attitude or personality. If your pet is belching or hacking these could be signs or symptoms of poisoning. If your pet's sounding (barking, mewing, etc.) changes, especially if it becomes frantic, that also could be a symptom or sign of poisoning. Lastly, avoidance or apprehension, or any change in interaction or personality, could be a sign of poisoning. Please, do not hesitate to check for other symptoms.

Stomach

If when you pick up your pet, the pet reacts with an unusual sensitivity that could be a sign of poisoning. Generally, this may be the last symptom that you check when you are verifying signs for poisoning. Also, you can check for sensitivity by lightly pressing on the abdomen. Take care not to apply pressure to the ribs or too much pressure to the abdomen.

If you think that, your pet is suffering from poisoning then contact your veterinarian immediately or the appropriate local emergency hotline or contact. With poisoning time is of the essence and you may want to ask your veterinarian about what emergency action is appropriate for you to take in the event that poisoning ever does occur.
Back to top Go down
Ladybug1115
Administrator
Administrator
Ladybug1115

PostSubject: Key Components of Animal Healing   Pet Health - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 5th 2008, 2:42 pm

Self Empowerment and Perspective-Key Components of Animal Healing
By Karen Elise Nowak
How many times in interactions with our animals do we forget to invite them to be part of the equation, doing things to them, and not with them? This change alone can manifest many positive results by changing their feelings of being powerless to those of feeling empowered.

For many years prior to the age of present day medicine and its accessibility to the mass population, we relied more on ourselves for our healing. Over time we came to believe that through traditional medicine, the doctor or veterinarian was all powerful in making us or our animal well. The age of addressing the symptom, and not the cause, became the norm. A prescription was written and off we went with the belief that our healing was in the hands of someone else.

Many years ago my horse became gravely ill from a tick born disease and endured numerous procedures to save her life. At the time I just held her in my heart and attempted to console her. Gone was the pride of a Morgan who controlled her world and in its place was submission, fear and loss.

I was very grateful to all the wonderful people who helped her. Yet a key component to healing remained illusive to me. It wasn't until some time later that the answer became apparent. This Morgan had lost belief in her self. It took time for me to understand what was missing. I needed to change my perspective.

Our animals respond to all the vibrations of the body. Man in his evolution narrowed to believe that the vibration of the vocal chords was the primary means of communication, animals never embraced this concept. They never veered from using the whole of their being to give and receive information.

In modern day veterinary practice most often a diagnosis is made and the care giver embraces it. After many weeks of my horse being ill, I was told her days of being ridden were over. She had sustained permanent damage to some of her organs and was not expected to recover further, this was now her life. Traditional Medicine could do no more. The Mighty Morgan's return to health is a story of its own, but after including her in her own healing, she went on to take second place in three 25 mile endurance rides.

When a dire prognosis is given, we feel sadness and brace against what is believed to be the inevitable. Our animals may not interpret speech as we do, but they hear and feel the vibration of hopelessness. After hearing a diagnosis of cancer for my canine companion I began to add that information to what I thought and felt about her. I now gave off a vibration she began to embrace. In my quest to find what was missing I found a holistic veterinarian who said, "stop thinking of your dog as having cancer, she is more than that, and besides you're shortening her days.That moment brought me a revelation. As a healer I was caught up in doing the healing, or so I thought. After his statement it became apparent to me that if I opened to shifting how I viewed her cancer I was no longer giving off a "good bye it's all over" energy. When I began to be only half the equation in her healing that was the first of many shifts for both of us. Moxie began to improve and we went on living together and loving each other for four more years.

Expanding the way in which we feel and understand what is going on for our animals can greatly influence the thoughts we hold to support them in their life. When we include the knowledge that the body knows how to be a part of healing itself, we take back a component of our power. When we offer that understanding to our animal, we place awareness in a supportive role.

Self empowerment and perspective are key parts in healing of the self.
Back to top Go down
Ladybug1115
Administrator
Administrator
Ladybug1115

PostSubject: Neutering and Spaying Our Pets   Pet Health - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 6th 2008, 11:19 pm

By Norma Crozier
There are many, many articles on spaying and neutering your pet but how many people are really absorbing the information or are they just saying hm and going on about their business?

The fact is our resources of animal welfare charities, socities whatever name you want to give these safety nets for pets and unwanted animals are picking up the tab for people who are just saying "hm" to these articles and moving on with their lives.

The numbers tell what is really going on. There are thousands of unwanted animals finding their way into shelters each year. This is the direct result of puppies and kittens created by these animals who were never spayed or neutered. Their subsequent effect on the overpopulation of companion pets.

The awful truth is there are more animals seeking adoption than their are homes available.

The facts for June 1st, 2002 to May 31st 2005 one charity called LAWS spent $132,820.70 on spay/neuter adn that was the figures found for three years ago so you can assume the numbers have certainly increased in those 3 years. These figures alone should bring people to their knees.

These are more figures which will open people's eyes such as one female doge and her offspring can create 67,000 dogs in six years. One female cat and her offspring can produce 420,000 cats in seven years. Each year many animals are abandoned and hurt because of overpopulation. It is the responsibility of each person to spay and neuter their pet simply because it will increase the quality of that animals life, help the already overpopulation of animals but at least give the animals a fighting chance of finding a home and a life to be loved and appreciated in.

Life can be hard for any animal but not having the love and attention they deserve makes it worse. This is why so many people value their pets, getting them neutered/spayed, loving them to the end. They give them the quality of life while alive and their thoughts are at the time of their death they did the best for them. They neutered and spayed their pet increasing their life span-they did good by them. Most people feel this way and will give them a final resting place in a pet cremation memorial urn. The dogs and cats are the most cherished pet but also the most productive as the figures prove. They are also the most common pet most people have.

Spay and neuter your most valuable assets your pets and not just say "hm"
Back to top Go down
Ladybug1115
Administrator
Administrator
Ladybug1115

PostSubject: Cat & Dog Ear Problems   Pet Health - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2008, 10:43 pm

By David P. Lee
Ear infections and other ear related issues are the leading cause of irritation for your dogs and cats. In fact, vets often see dogs and cats with ear problems that their owners didn't know about. When you have a dog or cat, it is imperative that you check their ears on a weekly if not daily basis. Dogs tend to be more prone to ear problems because we let them outside more often, whereas cats are often indoor pets. A vet will hardly see a day without any ear related issues for dogs and cats. Most pets have itchy, reddened, bloody or crusty ears. In some cases, the ears can be infected to the point of swelling. Since these problems are frequent, it is important that all owners learn how to spot trouble and what causes that trouble.

The anatomy of your cat or dog is one of the major reasons they tend to have ear problems. The ears tend to attract parasites and microorganisms which our eyes can't see. When talking about ear problems, we are not talking about the visible portion of the ear like the ear flap. Instead, we are talking about inside the ear canal that allows the dog or cat to hear.

In rare cases, a blood vessel on the ear can burst to allow a large amount of blood to congeal in the ear. Surgery usually takes care of this outer issue, but this doesn't resolve the inner ear. The inner ear can be affected with several things. Water in the ear can be a main cause. The bacteria that live around water can get into the ear. Typically, a dog is more prone to water issues because they tend to swim, but if you bath your cat, the water could cause damage if it gets in the canal. The water has to get out somehow, usually through evaporation. However, if the environment doesn't allow for evaporation, the bacteria or other organisms can cause an infection in the inner ear. This happens when the water remains in the ear longer than it should. One of the reasons it can be detrimental is the growing of more bacteria. Bacteria replicates extremely fast.

So how do you treat an ear infection? Well, first you need to know that there is one. Then you can treat the ear infection with topical ointments that will kill bacteria. There are also sprays available if that works better for you. When the ear tissue is swollen then you need a little more help than just ointment. Antibiotics administered orally will help to gain control of a deeper infection. Most dogs and cats are going to be on this medication for ten days. In some cases, the topical ointment or spray can cause further damage. It is important that when you use these medications you clean out the ear canal by flushing. Flushing means that you place water at pressure to flush the puss and bacteria out of the ear. Flushing should be done by the vet. Most dogs and cats will not sit still long enough and get rather irritated with the procedures, so sedation works better.

Keep cat sickness, cat disease and complications to a minimum. In the most severe cases of ear infections, surgery may be your only option. The bacteria and other debris can be resistant to antibiotics and ointments especially if your dog or cat has had several ear infections. By offering surgery as a means of control, the vet can remove the infectious agent and even change the ear canal. The ear canal is small and sometimes imperfections in the growth such as a dip in the canal tube can make it more difficult for the bacteria to escape with treatment. Surgery can help to open up the ear and correct imperfections. Surgery can also remove any scar tissue as a result of ear infections. This scar tissue can help trap in the debris even more.

Cat care, feline care and dog care is of great importance. Dogs and cats tend to heal rather quickly from surgery and you can usually notice an improvement within a few weeks with their hearing as well as behavior. Most animals that have pain will have an altered temperament. This can be a sign that something is wrong. Even though the dog or cat may have surgery there is still a potential for other infections. It is up to you are the owner to make sure you are providing the best health care and proper visits to the vet's office. Proper care can include frequent washing of the ear surface especially after a day outdoors.
Back to top Go down
Ladybug1115
Administrator
Administrator
Ladybug1115

PostSubject: Pet Care - Owners Must Know To Assist Them   Pet Health - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 12th 2008, 11:27 am

By Robin Brain
Measurement of the errands of taking care of a pet is making positive that the pets are fit. This is vital since guarantee a pet's health can too make sure that the pets will breathe for a lengthy life. Pet holder require to wing themselves with the information that can assist them care for their pets and make certain their health. There is a figure of superior sources of information with view to pet health care, which pet owners can eagerly access.

Between the diverse pieces of information that are extensively obtainable on the Internet, some of the mainly universal health issues that are argued engross dogs. There are deliberations and information sessions provide on the health issues that most dog owners must know to assist them pets care. Typically, the information given aims to educate dog owners how to observe the health of their dogs.

Fundamentally, the dog possessor looks out for convinced symptoms like infections, swollen and gums, which might be appearance of a extra solemn health difficulty. Another ordinary piece of information that is frequently given is on how dog owners can take care of the dog's ears, which several dog owners disregard. Other widespread pieces of information comprise information about the health supplements that owners can provide their dogs.

Given that pet owners require ensuring that their pets stay healthy, pet owners require arming themselves with the accurate information that can help out them correctly take care of their dog's health. From pet hoard workers to the Internet, pet owners can obtain the information they require to make sure their pet's long and vigorous lives.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pet Health   Pet Health - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pet Health
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2