For The Love of Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Becoming a Pet Foster Parent

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ladybug1115
Administrator
Administrator
Ladybug1115

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2007-10-04

Becoming a Pet Foster Parent Empty
PostSubject: Becoming a Pet Foster Parent   Becoming a Pet Foster Parent Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2008, 10:40 pm

By Cheree Miller
Do you love animals? Would you like to make a difference and help save lives, but don't want to make a 10 year commitment by adopting a pet? We have the purrfect solution for you: Become a temporary foster parent.

Rescue work isn't for everyone. There are so many animals in need, it is often difficult to create appropriate boundaries and learn to say "no". In fact, most of us just can't -- at least until our families put their feet down and say no for us. We all have a tendency to push the envelope, and continue taking in critters even though we really don't have the space, the money, or even the time and energy to devote to them. We rationalize this by saying that at least they have a chance to survive if we take them in. How do you say no to that little ball of fur looking up at you with complete, and total, unconditional love and trust? If you don't take him in, you know he won't survive. He'll end up in the local "shelter" and if those sad puppy eyes don't work on someone else, he'll be put down.

It isn't their fault that they are homeless! At some point in the chain of events, there as an irresponsible human being. The problem is, we can take care of ourselves. We can speak for ourselves. We can fight for our rights. But, who is there to speak out for these animals? At one point they, or their parents, were adopted or purchased and enjoyed being a loved family member. But, at some point, that all changed.

Maybe the puppy had too much energy. Maybe she was difficult to house train. Maybe he chewed on everything in site. Maybe the owner didn't get her spayed right away, and she ended up pregnant. Rather than doing the responsible thing, she was driven to a remote location and dumped.

Who will speak up for the animals?

Did you know that 70,000 dogs and cats are born in the United States every day?

Did you know that 8 million perfectly adoptable dogs and cats are killed every year because they don't have a home or loving family?

Did you know that the number one reason people surrender a dog or cat to the shelter is because of behavioral problems that are easily corrected with love and training?

Did you know that 64% percent of the animals that are taken to shelters are never adopted and end up being killed?

Did you know that an unaltered female cat and her offspring can produce 420,000 cats in 7 years? And an unaltered female dog and her offspring can produce 67,000 dogs in 6 years?

If you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

I would like to suggest an opportunity for you to become part of the solution. At this time of year, the animal overpopulation problem kicks into high gear. There are far too many animals for the rescue organizations and shelters to handle. Every week, I find myself having to say "no" to someone calling me on the phone begging me to help them with abandoned, orphaned, or stray animals in their neighborhood because I've run out of space.

You can help by becoming a foster parent. The process is fairly painless. Simply contact your local rescue group or shelter and ask for an application. They will verify that you have the space to foster parent, and you can have your choice of an adult cat or dog, or young kittens or puppies. Help us save lives. Become a foster parent today. You won't get paid. In most cases, we can't even provide dog or cat food (I easily go through 100-200 pounds of dog chow, 100-200 pounds of puppy chow, and 50 pounds of cat chow every week feeding the animals at my rescue). But, I can promise you will be rewarded. You will receive unconditional love, lots of kisses, and the satisfaction of knowing you saved a life.

Please consider fostering a dog or cat today. The life you save will one day be someone's best friend!
Back to top Go down

Becoming a Pet Foster Parent
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
For The Love of Animals :: General Discussion :: Pet Discussion-
Jump to: