For The Love of Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Adopting a Pet From a Shelter or Buying one

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ladybug1115
Administrator
Administrator
Ladybug1115

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2007-10-04

Adopting a Pet From a Shelter or Buying one Empty
PostSubject: Adopting a Pet From a Shelter or Buying one   Adopting a Pet From a Shelter or Buying one Icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2007, 8:05 pm

By Belinda Osgood
Adopting a pet from an animal shelter is a wonderful and caring thing to do. As an adult, the first cat I chose came from the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) shelter.

I knew what I wanted, or rather, what I didn't want. I wanted a girl kitten. I did not want a short-hair or a tabby. So what did I end up taking home? My new daughter, Pudi, was an estimated minimum of six months old and a short-haired tabby. One out of four is not bad...is it?

An animal shelter is a difficult place to go to for an animal lover. The animals always look adorable and so needy of special love and attention. Although shelters do their best with the resources and funding they have, I was upset for Pudi - she was in close proximity to barking dogs and all the other cats in the shelter were much older. Despite not meeting most of my pre-requisites, I could no more walk away from her than I could go to live at the shelter. Pudi became a firm and beloved addition to the family.

However, adoptions have their downside, too. One is that you have no history of the animal and its parentage. Pudi lived six months who knows where before turning up on an older lady's doorstep one day. The lady fed her scallops and then took her to the shelter, where she sat waiting for me.

Unfortunately, she did come with issues. A hormonal problem meant she was prone to spraying urine everywhere, including inside. This is a particularly unpleasant problem. It got worse during times of stress, like any change in the arrangement of furniture. A particularly loud visitor could also promote a bout of spraying. I remember once when my husband borrowed a book from a workmate. We ended up buying a new copy for the lender since Pudi took exception to the foreign smell it came with.

She was very scared of anyone except those she lived with, her family. Not at all sociable with outsiders, it took her a long time to get to know anyone. On the other hand, she was incredibly trusting and loyal to the family. I could put a collar around her neck, dig out something lodged in her mouth, and feed her medicine, all without being clawed, scratched, or bitten. She never once used her claws on me, even in play, but she did on others.

None of this should deter anyone who wishes to give a home to a shelter animal. All of these animals have been neglected, abandoned, mistreated, or otherwise find themselves without a permanent abode. It is wise, however, to be thoughtful about the needs of the animal and what it will mean for your household. A malnourished animal may have or develop health issues. Are you willing to spend the time and money on seeing the pet has appropriate veterinary care? A maltreated animal may have control issues or tendency to aggression. Can you afford the time and finance of attending a dog training school or other such help where it exists? This is by no means always the case for even a mistreated dog can become the most loyal and warm companion.

For all the unfortunate clean-up jobs I was required to do, sometimes daily, I never regret having Pudi. Love makes a family. What animal needs your love today?

Last edited by Ladybug1115 on March 7th 2008, 1:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ladybug1115
Administrator
Administrator
Ladybug1115

PostSubject: Top 5 Reasons to Adopt a Pet   Adopting a Pet From a Shelter or Buying one Icon_minitimeNovember 25th 2007, 9:29 pm

By Ronny Sikes
Are you thinking of getting a new pet? Have you ever considered pet adoption? Adopting a pet is a wonderful option for adding a canine friend into the family. Here are 5 simple reasons why you should choose pet adoption:

1. You'll save a life

Saving a life just may be one of the most rewarding actions in a person's life. Some pet shelters have to put down animals if they do not get adopted. If you choose to adopt a pet from an animal shelter or animal adoption agency, you are not only saving a precious animal's life, you are also greatly increasing its quality of life.

2. You'll save money

When you adopt a pet, you are actually saving a lot of money. Animals that have been placed in shelters or taken to animal adoption agencies are almost always spayed or neutered and vaccinated. Those preliminary, but necessary procedures add up when all is said and done. Also, it is relatively inexpensive to adopt a pet from an agency or shelter in comparison to purchasing dogs or cats from a local pet store.

3. You'll receive a healthy pet

As was mentioned above, pets from shelters and adoption agencies are almost always spayed or neutered, and have received their vaccinations as well. This ensures the health and happiness of your future pet. Also, in contradiction to popular belief, many pets who have been placed in shelters have not been mistreated or "done something wrong." Many pets have been taken there because of people problems, such as divorce, a big move, or they are simply too busy to adequately provide care for a pet.

4. You won't be supporting puppy mills

Many pets that are sold in pet stores or newspaper ads sometimes come from puppy mills. Puppy mills are mass dog-breeding businesses that are harmful to the health of their bred puppies. These facilities sometimes house up to several hundred dogs at a time, thus compromising the health and well-being of a precious puppy. By adopting a pet from a shelter or a pet adoption agency, you are not supporting these often inhumane businesses.

5. You'll have a large selection

Because pet adoption agencies and animal shelters have many pets, there is a wide selection for you to choose from. To make pet shopping easier on potential parents, many pet agencies and shelters have websites that allow people to search for possible pets by their age, sex, size, and breed. This enables families to search from the comfort of their own homes; the hassle of going to noisy and overwhelming shelters and agencies is eliminated.

The satisfaction you will acquire when you adopt a pet is like no other; you will have received a healthy pet, you will save money, you will be supporting a healthy and just cause, you will get the perfect pet for your family, and you will have saved a life. Adopting a pet has lifelong benefits that you will not regret. Give these animals a second chance by allowing them to join your loving family.
Back to top Go down
Ladybug1115
Administrator
Administrator
Ladybug1115

PostSubject: The Advantages Of Adopting A Shelter Animal   Adopting a Pet From a Shelter or Buying one Icon_minitimeJanuary 6th 2008, 2:51 pm

By Rick Rouse
My wife helps out at our local animal shelter, and every time I go down there I'm simply amazed at the wide variety of gorgeous pets that are in need of a good home. Many folks pay big bucks to a pet store for a dog, but what they don't realize is that in many cases those same animals came either from a puppy mill or... yep, you guessed it - an animal shelter!

While it's true that many shelter animals have worms and/or are in need of medical attention, the fact is that many "pet store" animals have the very same problems. The primary difference is the pet store charges hundreds of dollars for an animal that is just like those that can be had for as little as $25 at the local shelter.

It's a sad fact that thousands of beautiful and loving dogs and cats are euthanized each year because they are unable to find an adopted home. Cheria and I found our wonderful "son" Houdini at our local shelter the day before he was scheduled to be euthanized, and over a year later we simply can't imagine life without him.

If you're looking to add a wonderful pet to your family, I urge you to pay a visit to your local animal shelter to check out the lineup of dogs and cats they have available for adoption. Since most shelters have a bevy of pets to choose from, you probably won't need to go anywhere else.
Back to top Go down
Ladybug1115
Administrator
Administrator
Ladybug1115

PostSubject: Getting A New Pet - Things to Consider   Adopting a Pet From a Shelter or Buying one Icon_minitimeJanuary 19th 2008, 1:07 pm

By Victoria M. Brown
While many people think that choosing a new pet is a small decision that doesn't require too much thought, think again. It is actually an important life decision- sometimes being a 10 year commitment or more. It is imperative to pick a new pet that is right for you and your family. Here are some questions to consider when you are picking out your new pet :

1. Most importantly, what type of pet do you want? Think about your lifestyle- what do you like and what do you want your pet to bring to your life? Research different types of pets and then talk to someone who has the type of pet that you are considering.

2. Do you have time to take care of a pet? Some pets require a larger time commitment than others. Puppies, for example, are a big commitment. They can't be left alone and they need to be played with and trained.

3. Can I have a pet where I currently live? Many rentals have rules against pets or restrictions on the type of pet you can have. Some landlords have an additional fee. If you can have a pet where you live, you need to decide what type you have enough room for. Small dogs and cats can get their necessary daily exercise indoors or in small yards, while larger dogs may need to have more space to run freely.

4. Do you know the local animal control laws? Some communities require licenses of pets and some limit the number of pets that you can have.

5. Can I afford it? Pets can be expensive. When choosing a new pet you need to consider the costs for food, grooming, veterinary care, toys, etc.

6. Do you have a veterinarian? If not, you need to choose one in your area that suits your new pet's needs. Talk to family and friends with pets to find out which veterinarians they like.

7. Do you have someone that can care for your pet while you're on vacation? Make sure that you have a family member, friend, or neighbor to care of your pet or money to pay for a kennel while you are away.

8. If you have children, what kind of pet do they want? The maturity level of your children is important to consider when choosing a pet. You need to make sure that your children are mature enough to know the right way to treat a pet.

9. If you have other pets, how will they tolerate a new addition? Old pets may get jealous of new ones and they may not get along. When bringing home a new pet, be sure to introduce the animals slowly. Give them their own spaces for a while until they eventually get used to each other. Don't expect them to be best of friends right away.

10. Does anyone in your home have allergies? Make sure that you talk to your family members and/or those you live with about any allergies they may have before you bring home a new pet.

There are many things to consider when choosing a new pet. It's an important decision that needs serious thought both for you and the animal. Be sure to do research and familiarize yourself with the type of pet you are considering before bringing it home. This will help to alleviate any problems and ensure that you and your pet will be happy and content for years to come!
Back to top Go down
Ladybug1115
Administrator
Administrator
Ladybug1115

PostSubject: Pet Checklist - 12 Points To Consider When Buying A Pet   Adopting a Pet From a Shelter or Buying one Icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2008, 1:39 am

By Derek Rogers
When you and your family are making the decision to purchase a pet, you will want to go through a checklist in order to make sure that it is the right decision for everyone involved. It is a major life event when bringing a pet into the home and the decision should not be taken lightly.

With a set guideline or checklist ahead of time, you will ensure that you are making the correct choice and there will be no anxiety once your pet comes home to meet his new family. Nothing can be more gratifying than having a family pet grow and thrive with you and your family over the years.

1- Room: Is there space for a pet in your home? Larger animals need space for exercise each day while smaller caged animals need just a small desk or counter-top. Depending on the type of ample space you have will portray what type of pet you will be able to house.

2 - Lifestyle: Does a pet fit your lifestyle? For many busy families a pet will not fit into their schedule. You will need to be sure that there is time for a new companion in your home that may need walking each day, or just a few minutes of simple contact in order to thrive in your home.

3 - Cost: How much are you willing to spend on a pet? Are you financially able to maintain that pet if such things as vet bills become high? Determining your budget will show if you can really afford the maintenance such as yearly exams, periodic vet bills in the event of illness, etc.

4 - Regulations: Are you able to legally own a pet? Some families who rent are not able to have animals in various apartment buildings or condominiums, while some town homes and condominium associations have stipulations on what size of animal is allowed on the premises. Checking out all the necessary rules before purchasing your new family member.

5 - Pet Supplier: Will you be choosing a pet shop or local breeder for your pet? Some people decide on animals that are at local animal shelters. Be sure to do extensive checks on where your pet comes from, especially if they claim to be purebred.

6 - Traveling: Do you travel a lot? Are you able to travel with your pet or would you have to find alternative arrangements for your pet while you are gone.

7 - Veterinarians: Do you have a vet close by that you can consult in times of need? If you do not have a licensed animal care provider it may discourage you from choosing an animal that needs regular care.

8 - Activities: What type of activities do you enjoy doing as a family? Are these activities the type that you will be taking your pet with you? A pet is a member of your family and should not be left at home if you are enjoying time outside where they could be as well.

9 - Allergies: Do you know anyone with pet allergies? This can have a direct result on the type of pet you decide on if you get one at all. Some may find that it is not feasible since their mother visits each year for 2 weeks in the summer and is highly allergic to animals.

10 - Other pets: Do you have other pets that need to adapt to a new member? If so, this can be a very touchy situation when bringing in other animals into a '1 pet home'.

11 - Previous Pet Experience: Do you have any experience with owning a pet? If not, are you willing to do the necessary research in order to know how to take care of your pet properly?

12 - Responsibility: Is the responsibility of this new pet yours alone or will it be a shared family task? Be sure to set ground rules with everyone in the family so that it is a decision everyone is happy with.

If you are still considering a family pet even after going through this simple checklist and finding out that what you are looking for is a companion and a friend then you are ready to go out and purchase your new pet. After going through this list you will be well equipped with some basic knowledge about what you need to know when purchasing a new animal for your home.
Back to top Go down
Ladybug1115
Administrator
Administrator
Ladybug1115

PostSubject: How to Choose a Good Pet Store   Adopting a Pet From a Shelter or Buying one Icon_minitimeMay 2nd 2008, 1:12 am

By Gilchrist Adam
Before buying a pet, you need to make sure that the store that you are getting your pet from is a good, well-reputed one. Presented here are a few tips that should help you in selecting the best pet store.

Tips:

-- A good quality pet store would be ready to greet you by sending over an employer as soon as you enter the store, who would then ask if you require help with something or if you wish to gain answers to some questions.

-- It is necessary for a good store to be neat and tidy, should be well lit, and there must be aisles broad enough to effortlessly find the way. The shut in of any animals have to dirt free and suitably lit, so that you have evidence of cage cleaning.

-- A superior pet store will take actions to guarantee the fitness of their animals. Despite the fact that it is very unusual to locate a pet shop that has no sick animals, but what matters is that there should not be an overload of unwell animals in the store. This is how you can identify how animals are treated in the pet store and also the care that they receive.

-- Another tip is that the staff of the store should be such that they would reply your questions straightforwardly and truthfully, instead of giving you a deceptive answer since it is what they believe you wish to hear or that it would help them gain sales.

-- It is very improbable that a good pet store would carry huge birds, except that they are a shop that concentrates on birds. As we all know, large birds are habitually very high preservation and characteristically necessitate a reasonable amount of dedicated paraphernalia to uphold their healthiness and prolonged existence. What is more is that large birds can at times turn a bit disparaging in the boundaries and restricted quarters of the archetypal pet store.

It is not necessary that all stores would be able to meet all of these necessities, so it is basically up to you as to what you believe to be the most significant and assess the stores in your neighborhood for the one that you believe is the best.

Yet another tip on purchasing pets is:

-- Make sure that you never obtain an animal for the reason that you feel unhappy for it or because you imagine that it is being badly treated or abused. The purchase of such an animal would only hearten the business and other animals would also be ill-treated in an analogous manner.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adopting a Pet From a Shelter or Buying one   Adopting a Pet From a Shelter or Buying one Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Adopting a Pet From a Shelter or Buying one
Page 1 of 1