For The Love of Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pets and Destructive Chewing

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ladybug1115
Administrator
Administrator
Ladybug1115

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2007-10-04

Pets and Destructive Chewing Empty
PostSubject: Pets and Destructive Chewing   Pets and Destructive Chewing Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2008, 1:09 pm

By Linda McRae
The definite act of chewing varies from one dog to another. If you have a chewer it is probably for entertainment because your pet is bored. When I state "destructive chewing" I don't mean to make your best friend sound like a monster, only that the destruction will probably be your favorite pair of shoes or other valuable household items. When your pet chews an item up it will probably be destroyed, depending on the animals focus on that item at the moment. I know you as I have will wonder why all the pet toys are scattered around the area, but the pet finds your stuff irresistible and never touches his or her own!

There are three main reasons why dogs chew:

- Many dogs have a born natural desire to chew. To them it's fun and self rewarding, and passes the time until you return.

This act of chewing for a nervous, lonely or completely bored pet is venting their emotions. It is like a hot cup of soup for us on a cold day, or any comfort food we may chose.

Last but not least, it is a way to burn up energy until they can be exercised.

- Tips to hinder ruinous chewing -

Okay, before you give up on your little bundle of joy, there is hope, you can with loving effort teach your dog not to chew on your things and find his own toys fun.

1. If you have children or as you have heard about the importance of baby proofing your home, the same rules apply to your pet. Make you home as safe as possible, because just as a new toddler will do the dog will explore each item with their mouths.

One important fact to remember is your dog can climb, and leap to retrieve things of interest. Don't forget to check the height when standing on their back legs, can they reach your tables, desk etc? Or if they are a tall breed, sometimes they can reach the stove or counters in the kitchen, beware. My tall basset hound, Buddy, has pulled a pot off of my stove and had himself a meal of corn beef and cabbage, I was shocked! Never thought he could reach it, and besides he looks so innocent.

Make the time to walk around your home and take action to move anything of value out of their reach. I have had or have heard of dogs that chew up clothing, books, eyeglasses, shoes. ALL food stuff should be out of their capture zone, or it will definitely become a treat. Don't forget the garbage, they will have a heyday while you are away with the garbage can. What a mess this can be! Find a safe location for your small items such as remote controls, cell phones, keys and cameras.

2. Illegal chewing will become a joy if it is a constant habit. Don't let this continue to happen, prevent the pet from chewing on your things in the first place and they will not learn this destructive behavior. Set up a desired understanding of your house rules, teach your dog these rules.

3. Boundaries have to be set between the animals, okay to chew things, and your stuff not to chew. Please don't confuse them by giving them any articles of clothing, shoes etc., they cannot tell the difference in your good forbidden thing and the okay torn up thing. For example: If a pair of shoes are garbage bound, do not give them to Rover to chew on because he loves it, this will only teach him to chew on the wrong items.

4. Go to the pet store and provide your pet with her own appropriate chew toys. Dogs need and like to chew so give them two or three of their very own okay to chew yummies. Make a big deal out of their new toys, this will keep them happy and content.

5. You will have to set aside plenty of time to be in supervision of your pet. Please don't leave your animal penned up in a crate and expect them to learn about their surrounding. They need exercise and plenty of it, so consider this when you acquire a pet. The pet cannot learn from the confines of a box, crate or pen, these areas are okay for sleeping or time out when you are away. When you are home please enjoy your pet let them be with you, their love is so unconditional. I know I have rescued five animals to date, and I have taught them to live freely in our home as we do. One difference they have certain rules just as my children did.

6. To correct your dog if you catch them chewing on forbidden fruit, intercept by making a loud noise such as clapping your hands or a stern NO or any other noise of your own making between you and your dog that means STOP. Then, immediately offer the pet a tasty treat to chew on, many dogs love something as simple as a whole carrot, and it is good for them also. and as soon as they bite it, pour on the praise. This will teach the animal that chewing on their own toy or treat equals love from you, the other equals a disturbing loud noise. In time they will accept these facts and do well.

Please maintain a positive attitude, you are not perfect nor is your dog. In the beginning of the relationship between you and your new pet, remember they are still learning the rules and it will take awhile for them to become accustom to your environment and how they should fit in. The more time you spend with the pet the sooner they will be trained. There will be accidents or times when they are lonely and forget, just keep the positive training techniques you have learned here in mind, NEVER scold unfairly or belittle the animal. Apply what you have learned and ALWAYS praise for a job well done, this helps them learn to be a productive member of your household.

You can find more information on behavior training and health on my websites.. Your pet will be a forever friend, take extra good care of them and don't forget to spay and neuter your pets.
Back to top Go down

Pets and Destructive Chewing
Page 1 of 1